With winter fast approaching and the days getting shorter its time to tidy up after a busy summer of gardening.5 Things to do at the end of garden seasonClick To Tweet
These five things will have you all ready for next year if you spend a little time cleaning up this fall.
- Remove all plants from the garden. I like to give the leftover plants to the pigs or chickens so that I’m not wasting anything. Plus they love the treat.
- Rake up the leaves and add to your compost pile or start one. My compost pile didn’t do so well last year but it’s a great way to add organic matter to your garden. I’ll be working on improving my compost this fall.
- Put away garden tools. This is a perfect time to also inspect the handles and replace them. Along with checking for broken water hoses and sprinklers. No need to store something that needs replacing.
- Amend soil. Till up the soil and add any amendments to improve your soil quality for next season. I try to stick with all natural fertilizer like fish based.
- Check and store canning equipment. I like to give my canners a good scrubbing and oil the seals before I store them.
What’s left on your list to do before winter sets in? Let me know in the comments I’d love to hear.
This post is linked up at